2012 Q4 CE Release Notes
These notes provide pertinent information regarding the additions to Rally Community Edition during the fourth quarter of 2012. Features and defect fixes continually released between October 26th and January 31st, 2013 are included. Hardware and software requirements, compatibility, and known issues for the Rally Community, Enterprise, and Unlimited Editions during this time period are also provided.
What’s new in Q4
Iteration Planning Board
The app provides multiple features that allow you to:
- Add work items from the backlog
- Drag cards into the correct iteration
- View up to three upcoming iterations in addition to the backlog column
- View the velocity for each iteration at the top of each column
- Search the backlog column for work items
- Hover over the ID field to view the description of the card
- Drag a card vertically to change its rank
- Click the Manage Iteration button to edit, create, or delete an iteration
- Add new work items
- Create, update and delete tasks
- View and update discussions
- View and update associated defects
Click here to learn more about the app's features.
View active user licenses
On the Users page, the count of remaining seats now displays at the top. The count equals the remaining seats of all total seats.
- Remaining = (paid seats + unpaid seats) - total active users
- Total = sum of paid and unpaid seats
- Remaining does not include disabled users
To view the remaining and total number of licenses, select the Setup link from the upper-right corner of any Rally page, then click the Users tab. The number of active licenses displays to the right of the New User field.
View all apps in full screen mode
Query Web Services with new variables and expressions
New date variables and expressions are available for Web Services API queries, or when using the Query field in supported apps. Special date variables and expressions provide you with more power to express dates relative to today, as well as include or exclude items occurring at various distances in the past or future.
For example, to view Portfolio Items that are expected to start development in the next 30 days, you would write the expression as:
- ((PlannedStartDate > "today") AND (PlannedStartDate < "nextmonth"))
Another example is if you wanted to view all stories that were accepted yesterday but exclude stories accepted today, the expression would be:
- (AcceptedDate = "yesterday")
Click here to view more date variable examples.
When using the Web Services API or the Query field in apps, you may quickly filter by your username with new syntax. When querying by a username, use currentuser. You must be logged into Rally to use this syntax. For example, to find all items you own, structure the query as:
(Owner = "currentuser")
Hierarchy app enhancements
Create, edit, and re-parent tasks from Story Hierarchy app
You may use the Story Hierarchy app to create and manage tasks associated to the lowest-level user stories in your hierarchy. Use the gear icon next to a story to create a new task. You may also drag-and-drop to re-parent tasks, or copy, edit, and delete existing tasks with the gear icon.
Now, you can manage your entire hierarchy, top-to-bottom, with these apps. Try installing multiple copies of the app on a custom page, each targeted at different projects, to manage your work across the organization.
Create child user story directly from Story Hierarchy app
The Story Hierarchy app now allows you to add a child user story directly from a parent. Select Add Child from the gear menu and enter the child story details in the editor window that displays. The child story will display under the parent in the Story Hierarchy.
View states retained in the Story Hierarchy app
Resources field renamed to Planned Velocity
The Resources field in Rally is now called Planned Velocity. When creating an iteration in Rally, use the Planned Velocity field to record how many user story points (or other value) the team thinks that it can complete for the iteration.
The Workspaces & Projects setting screen now displays open workspaces and projects by default
The default State is now set to Open on the Workspaces & Projects settings screen. This enhancement provides administrators with a quick view of all open projects.
Rally’s beta programs get you involved with improving effectiveness and usability of new features before they are released. If you would like to participate, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to the SOAP, REST, & JSON Web Service API
Web Services API deprecation policy
In order to support developer toolkits, custom apps, and queries more effectively, we are introducing a formal deprecation policy to the Web Services API. With the new policy, we will make commercially reasonable efforts to support older versions of the WSAPI for one year after a new version is released.
Versions 1.0 through 1.36 of the WSAPI will enter this one year deprecation period on October 1st, 2012. These versions will no longer be supported after October 1st, 2013.
The current version of the WSAPI, 1.37, is fully supported. Its one year deprecation period will begin on the date that version 1.38 is released. You may review the full deprecation policy in the Rally Web Services API documentation.
Hardware and software requirements
We at Rally are committed to making our software easily accessible. You can access Rally wherever you have an Internet connection via a PC, Linux, or Macintosh computer. Because this software is available through the World Wide Web, many of the constraints regarding which computer and software you use to access this material have been removed.
Nevertheless, it is not possible or practical for us to support every operating system and browser combination that is available. To take advantage of the newest Rally features, we recommend that you use one of the following fully supported browsers:
- Internet Explorer*
We support the two latest versions of each of these browsers. We do not recommend using development, test, or beta versions of these web browsers. Versions that are not publicly released may not work properly with the Rally application. In particular we strongly suggest using Chrome.
* Internet Explorer Currently, we support Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 8, and provide limited support for Internet Explorer 7.
- Minimum Adobe Reader 5.0 Microsoft Windows platforms (not Linux)
- Adobe Reader 7.0 or higher recommended
- Minimum 1024 X 768 X 256-color video resolution, 1280 x 1024 recommended.
Defects fixes in Q4
The following defects were fixed in the fourth quarter of 2012:
- DE15077 - Multi-edit on defects causes duplication of data in integer field
- DE15103 - Blocked Reason and Ready fields cannot be displayed as a column in custom views
- DE15105 - Blocked Reason field cannot be reported
- DE15173 - Print, Email and Export to PDF functions not working on the Reports page
- DE15221 - Package field column shows no data on Plan>Backlog page or Custom Grids
- DE15378 - Custom grid work product URL not mapped properly
- DE15404 - Blocked Reason field on custom view causes no records to export
- DE15566 - Some users unable to expand views or perform in-line edits when using Internet Explorer
- DE15701 - Error when trying to create custom field
- DE15715 - Notifications email doesn't include the name of the user who made the modification
- DE15801 - Clicking on links on dashboard not working in Firefox 18
- DE15815 - Some users not receiving password reset emails
Known issues in Q4
Not all work items may be recovered from the Recycle Bin
Only user stories, portfolio items, defects, test cases, and tasks are recoverable from the Recycle Bin.
Popup blockers and Rally
Be aware that some of Rally’s content is displayed using popup windows. Popup blockers may inhibit this functionality. To correct this, configure your popup blockers to allow Rally popups.
Pasting formatted text from MS Word may result in error
Copy-pasting rich-format text into a work item editor from Microsoft Word may result in formatting or system errors. To work around this issue, compose directly in the Rally work item editors, or convert your entry to plain text before pasting.
To contact Rally Support, click the Contact Support link in the lower-left corner of Rally.