2013 Q1 CE Release Notes
These notes provide pertinent information regarding the additions to Rally Community Edition during the first quarter of 2013. Features and defect fixes continually released between February 1st and April 30th, 2013 are included. Hardware and software requirements, compatibility, and known issues for the Rally Community, Enterprise, and Unlimited Editions during this time period are also provided.
What’s new in Q1
Kanban Board enhancements
- Select a custom color for a card
- Display any field on work item cards
- Hover on a card to view editing and customization options
- Click Add New on the top left of the board to add a new story or defect
- Set up columns, work in progress limits, and display options in Kanban settings
- Delete the app or view the the app full screen from the gear menu
You can access the actions menu, gear menu, ready indicator, blocked indicator, and the card color picker by hovering on the card.
Ability to categorize cards by color
You can now add a custom color to a card on the following board-style apps:
To add a color to a card, hover over the card and select the color picker icon.
You can filter what cards appear on the board by any available work item criteria, using the query field.
View previous and future iterations on the Iteration Planning Board
You can now scroll forward and backward on the Iteration Planning Board to view previous and future iterations. Use the arrows to the left and right of the column titles to view iterations further in the past or future.
New card design on some board apps
The look and feel of some board apps have been enhanced with a new slim card design that increases the amount of information that can be shown on a card/board by 50%. The new design is currently available on the following apps:
The slim card design will be added to more apps in the near future.
Delete discussion posts
You now have the ability to delete discussion posts that you have created. Administrators have the ability to delete others comments. To delete a discussion post, click the trash can icon on the post:IMPORTANT: Once you delete a discussion post, you will not be able to undo the deletion. A warning message popup will remind you of this functionality:
For administrators: View and sort last login dates
Subscription administrators now have the ability to view and sort the last login date for users. Previously, administrators had to contact support for a usage report. Now, administrators can view last login dates to effectively manage licenses. Login dates are available from June 1, 2010 forward. Users that have logged in before that date or have never logged in will have an empty grid value.
Select Last Login Date on the Users drop-down column picker to view login dates:
New administrative user fields
Six new fields have been added to user profiles to help large organizations and distributed teams identify and collaborate with each other. Administrators may edit these fields when creating or modifying users:
- Network ID
- Cost Center
- Office Location
You may customize the values within the four drop-down fields: Cost Center, Role, Office Location, and Department.
Manage associated defects and tasks inline
The task and defect detail display functionality found on the Iteration Tracking Board and Iteration Planning Board apps is now available for the Backlog page and grid-style apps. With this feature, you can create, edit, and manage defects and tasks associated to work items without leaving the page.
To see the status icons and use the detail displays, add the Task Status or Defect Status columns to your view or app.
View app pages full screen
You may view all apps on your dashboard or custom page without the Rally menus and navigation. Simply click the Customize Page drop-down and select View Full Screen. You can exit this mode by pressing the back button on your browser.
This feature is also available from the Track page.
App Catalog search
You can now search for apps in the App Catalog.
Rally’s beta programs get you involved with improving effectiveness and usability of new features before they are released. If you would like to participate, please send email to email@example.com.
Changes to the SOAP, REST, & JSON Web Service API
Web Services API deprecation policy
In order to support developer toolkits, custom apps, and queries more effectively, we are introducing a formal deprecation policy to the Web Services API. With the new policy, we will make commercially reasonable efforts to support older versions of the WSAPI for one year after a new version is released.
The current version of the WSAPI, 1.41, is fully supported. Its one year deprecation period will begin on the date that version 1.42 is released. You may review the full deprecation policy in the Rally Web Services API documentation.
Versions 1.0 through 1.37 of the WSAPI will enter this one year deprecation period on October 1st, 2012. These versions will no longer be supported after October 1st, 2013. Additionally, the following versions will no longer be supported by the date indicated in parentheses: 1.38 (November 6, 2014); 1.39 (December 5, 2014); 1.40 (March 15, 2014).
Hardware and software requirements
We at Rally are committed to making our software easily accessible. You can access Rally wherever you have an Internet connection via a PC, Linux, or Macintosh computer. Because this software is available through the World Wide Web, many of the constraints regarding which computer and software you use to access this material have been removed.
Nevertheless, it is not possible or practical for us to support every operating system and browser combination that is available. To take advantage of the newest Rally features, we recommend that you use one of the following fully supported browsers:
- Internet Explorer*
We support the two latest versions of each of these browsers. We do not recommend using development, test, or beta versions of these web browsers. Versions that are not publicly released may not work properly with the Rally application. In particular we strongly suggest using Chrome.
* Internet Explorer Currently, we support Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 8, and provide limited support for Internet Explorer 7.
- Minimum Adobe Reader 5.0 Microsoft Windows platforms (not Linux)
- Adobe Reader 7.0 or higher recommended
- Minimum 1024 X 768 X 256-color video resolution, 1280 x 1024 recommended.
Defects fixes in Q1
The following defects were fixed in the first quarter of 2013:
- DE13599 - Value of custom date field populated by Web Services API incorrectly changed when editing an artifact
- DE14803 - Changing project scoping settings on My Defects app changes query object to user story
- DE15187 - Tabs disappear when using Rally in Chrome
- DE15411 - Error when user tries to permanently delete item from recycle bin
- DE15902 - Some users seeing an error screen in custom apps
- DE15948 - Formatted IDs not working when creating custom apps
- DE16108 - HTML tags incorrectly being exported in name and rich text fields
- DE16126 - Internet Explorer 8 stack overflow error when moving tasks in story splitting editor
- DE16204 - Issue with customers unable to add new or edit existing users
- DE16206 - Error when copying test cases
- DE16236 - Sorting custom grid by Release does not properly group items by release
- DE16241 - Ranking appearing as floating point value on drag-and-drop workspaces
- DE16244 - Ranking appearing as floating point value on some workspaces
- DE16253 - Error when creating or editing a user story
- DE16309 - Web Services API docs show wrong Parent for every non-abstract object
- DE16315 - Custom grid error message remains after fixing error
- DE16446 - User interface issues with all versions of Internet Explorer
- DE16452 - Poor performance for customers with large data sets using Internet Explorer
- DE16475 - Some customers unable to copy users from one project to another
- DE16513 - Web Services API Queries on CustomOID return a value of Null
- DE16548 - Error when adding a new user
- DE16559 - Some customers experiencing a performance issue when creating or editing custom views
- DE16704 - "Welcome to Rally" keeps reappearing after clicking the "Don't show this guide again" checkbox
- DE16709 - Unable to print reports from reports page
- DE16851 - Users grid throwing 405 error
- DE16911 - Name not retained when scrolling to and from different iterations
Known issues in Q1
Some users sporadically receive multiple notification emails for a single change
Some email notifications are not respecting notification rules.
Not all work items may be recovered from the Recycle Bin
Only user stories, portfolio items, defects, test cases, and tasks are recoverable from the Recycle Bin.
Popup blockers and Rally
Be aware that some of Rally’s content is displayed using popup windows. Popup blockers may inhibit this functionality. To correct this, configure your popup blockers to allow Rally popups.
Pasting formatted text from MS Word may result in error
Copy-pasting rich-format text into a work item editor from Microsoft Word may result in formatting or system errors. To work around this issue, compose directly in the Rally work item editors, or convert your entry to plain text before pasting.
To contact Rally Support, click the Contact Support link in the lower-left corner of Rally.