Q1 2015 Release Notes
These notes provide pertinent information regarding the additions to CA Agile Central On-Demand during the first quarter of 2015. Features continually released between February 1st and April 10, 2015 are included. Hardware and software requirements, compatibility, and known issues for the CA Agile Central Enterprise and Unlimited Editions during this time period are also provided.
What’s new in Q1
For CA Agile Central Enterprise and Unlimited customers:
New Timeboxes page
CA Agile Central has created a new Timeboxes page that replaces the Releases, Iterations, and Milestones pages in the Plan menu. Options to Filter, Show on Cards/Columns, and Export/Print are consistent with some of the other pages CA Agile Central has recently released, such as the Iteration Status page.
To access the new Timeboxes page, click the Plan menu and select Timeboxes.
You can manage iterations, releases, and milestones by selecting the type from the drop-down menu at the top of the page. Iterations are selected by default in the drop-down.
New Getting Started experience for Administrators
New administrators can now view a guide that will help them get up and running with CA Agile Central. When first logging into CA Agile Central, administrators will see a jumbotron welcoming them to CA Agile Central. Clicking the Let's Go button will launch the Guide.
The Guide walks a new administrator through key areas of CA Agile Central and demonstrates core concepts of Agile using our product. An existing administrator can access the guide from the profile drop-down menu. The guide can also be re-launched after it has been closed from this location.
New CA Agile Central Milestone capabilities
Last year, CA Agile Central introduced the ability to use milestones to help organizations plan and deliver the right work at the right time. The reception from our customers has been overwhelming positive, and from early usage and feedback, we’ve implemented several key enhancements that will make the use of milestones in CA Agile Central even more powerful.
These include capabilities to:
- Plan and track milestones directly from a milestone’s detail page, now a central hub for managing work related to important business milestones from the Timeboxes page.
- Associate work items with a milestone by selecting the Choose button on a the Scheduled tab of the Milestone editable detail page.
- Visualize progress of work specific to selected milestones in CA Agile Central’s Portfolio Timeline view, helping stakeholders understand progress and guide scope.
- Easily recover deleted milestones from the Recycle Bin, including their feature and story associations.
Using all of the timeboxes supported in CA Agile Central - milestones, releases, and iterations - you can develop on a predictable cadence and release to meet market-driven demand.
Learn more about milestones and other exciting new features on the New Features for Speed, Visibility, and Scale blog post by CA Agile Central's Steve Wolfe.
New Iteration Status page now generally available
CA Agile Central’s new Iteration Status page provides breakthrough features and technology that empowers teams to manage their daily work with a comprehensive view of critical, real-time information about their plans and progress. We worked with hundreds of beta testers to tweak, refine, and improve our old page to make it fast, simple, and powerful - all at the same time.
The Iteration Status Page is the central hub teams in CA Agile Central come together around to manage their daily work. All of the editing, status and reporting needed is on one page, eliminating the need to navigate around to different pages. Use the Iteration Status Page for reviewing progress or for real-time facilitation of stand-up meetings.
CA Agile Central's beta Iteration Status page is now available to all users. You can no longer switch back to the legacy Iteration Status page. The new page has a number of advantages over the legacy page. You can now do the following:
- View stories, defects, defect suites, and test sets on one page
- View and edit work on a list view or board
- Add, reorder, or remove columns on the list
- Add, reorder, or remove fields from cards on the board
- One-click to edit fields in the list view or board
Watch the video below for a demo of the page, and preview how we're using some new features to provide consistency throughout the application:
See why Iteration Status is The CA Agile Central Page Teams Can't Live Without.
For additional information on how to use the new page, including how to use both list and board views, you can view the Iteration Status page help content.
Portfolio Kanban Swimlanes
You can now add swimlanes to your Portfolio Kanban Board. Swimlanes are horizontal rows that can be applied to a board for a team to easily visualize work items by category or sub-process. Admins can choose custom fields to be used as swimlanes on the board, as long as the custom fields exist on all portfolio item types. Common uses on a program-level board includes grouping work by marketable and non-marketable work or work grouped by parent portfolio items.
To add a swimlane:
- Click the Actions gear menu on the top right of the board and select Settings.
- Select the Swimlanes checkbox.
- Select the type of swimlane you want to set up from the dropdown menu.
- Click Save at the bottom of the settings pane to save changes and create your swimlane.
Watch the video below for a demo and some examples on using swimlanes, presented by CA Agile Central Product Owner Steve Stolt:
Learn some tips and tricks and how to get more out of Portfolio Kanban with swimlanes from CA Agile Central's Catherine Connor.
New features added to Backlog and Defect Suites pages
The Backlog and Defect Suites pages in CA Agile Central have been updated with new components as found on the Iteration Status beta page.
On the Backlog page, you can now:
- click the Filter icon and select any column headings to add (including your own custom fields). You can also select which work items to show on the page.
- click the Show Columns icon to select columns to display on the page.
- click the Import/Export/Print icon to import, export and print.
On the Defect Suites page, you can now:
- click the Filter icon and select any column headings to add (including your own custom fields).
- click the Show Columns icon to select columns to display on the page.
- click the Import/Export/Print icon to export and print.
- click the Add New button to easily add a new defect suite
- inline add a child or peer work item from the gear menu
- rank work items with drag-and-drop
- change a work item’s rank from the gear menu
- delete a work item from the gear menu
CA Agile Central’s beta programs get you involved with improving effectiveness and usability of new features before they are released. If you would like to participate, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to the SOAP, REST, & JSON Web Service API
Web Services API deprecation policy
In order to support developer toolkits, custom apps, and queries more effectively, we are introducing a formal deprecation policy to the Web Services API. With the new policy, we will make commercially reasonable efforts to support older versions of the WSAPI for one year after a new version is released.
The current version of the WSAPI, 2.0, is fully supported. Its one year deprecation period will begin on the date that the next version is released. You may review the full deprecation policy in the CA Agile Central Web Services API documentation.
Hardware and software requirements
We at CA Agile Central are committed to making our software easily accessible. You can access CA Agile Central wherever you have an Internet connection via a PC, Linux, or Macintosh computer. Because this software is available through the World Wide Web, many of the constraints regarding which computer and software you use to access this material have been removed.
Nevertheless, it is not possible or practical for us to support every operating system and browser combination that is available. To take advantage of the newest CA Agile Central features, we recommend that you use one of the following fully supported browsers:
- Internet Explorer*
We support the two latest versions of each of these browsers. We do not recommend using development, test, or beta versions of these web browsers. Versions that are not publicly released may not work properly with the CA Agile Central application. In particular we strongly suggest using Chrome.
* Internet Explorer Currently, we support Internet Explorer 11, Internet Explorer 10, and Internet Explorer 9. CA Agile Central does not support Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8.
- Minimum Adobe Reader 5.0 Microsoft Windows platforms (not Linux)
- Adobe Reader 7.0 or higher recommended
- Minimum 1024 X 768 X 256-color video resolution, 1280 x 1024 recommended.
Known issues in Q1
Not all work items may be recovered from the Recycle Bin
Only user stories, portfolio items, defects, test cases, milestones and tasks are recoverable from the Recycle Bin.
Dragging test sets into the backlog on the Plan page
Dragging a test set from an iteration into the backlog on the Plan page will appear to make the test set disappear. The test set is still in CA Agile Central, but it has become unscheduled. To view the test set, go to the Iteration Status page and choose an iteration drop-down value of Unscheduled.
Popup blockers and CA Agile Central
Be aware that some of CA Agile Central’s content is displayed using popup windows. Popup blockers may inhibit this functionality. To correct this, configure your popup blockers to allow CA Agile Central popups.
Salesforce.com Integration: Create defect function does not instantly respond
The create defect function found in Salesforce does not immediately provide feedback from the associated CA Agile Central subscription. This may result in the inadvertent creation of multiple defects. Click the button only once to avoid this issue.
Pasting formatted text from MS Word may result in error
Copy-pasting rich-format text into a work item editor from Microsoft Word may result in formatting or system errors. To work around this issue, compose directly in the CA Agile Central work item editors, or convert your entry to plain text before pasting.
The CA Agile Central Success Community is your one-stop shop for self-service and support. Find answers, collaborate with others, and submit cases with CA Agile Central Support at success.rallydev.com.